Wild Venison Casserole
This slow method of cooking works well with less expensive, tough cuts of meat. You will need a casserole dish with a lid. Leave out leeks if they are unavailable, or try substituting with celery.
2 medium onions, chopped
2 Tb olive oil
1 medium leek, washed well and chopped
3 carrots, chopped chunky
4 - 6 cloves garlic, sliced
500g diced venison or beef blade steak
½ cup red wine
1-2 tsp sea salt
1 Tbsp curry powder (or 1 - 2 tsp curry paste)
440g can of diced tomato
2) Add the leeks and continue to cook on a medium heat for a few more minutes until soft.
3) Add wine, bring to a boil, then remove from heat.
4) Add the sea salt, curry powder and tomato. Mix well.
5) Meanwhile, in a large casserole dish place the chopped carrot, garlic and diced meat.
6) Pour the vegetable mixture from the saucepan into the casserole dish, so that it covers the other ingredients.
7) Cover the casserole dish with it's lid (or tightly cover with foil). Place in a low oven (120 Celsius). Check after two hours to see if there is still sufficient liquid. Cook for about 4 or 5 hours total, until the meat is tender.
8) Check salt seasoning. Adjust if necessary before serving.