Why Drink Water?
We all know that our bodies need plenty water. Many people say “I should drink more water”, but why?
An accessible fresh water resource is a privilege. As you read this people are dying due to a lack of fresh water. They may be walking miles for their family’s minimum daily needs.
If you’ve ever been very thirsty or dehydrated you will remember how precious water is. Once Roger and I were trekking in the mountains without enough water. It is a scary feeling.
If you have good water, drink plenty of it, and appreciate each mouthful, pure and simple.
Why drink plenty of water?
- Rehydrate the cells. In the popular book ‘French women don’t get fat’, the author recommends drinking a glass of water before bed and a glass of water upon rising, as sleep is one of the greatest times of dehydration. Dehydration increases the production of free-radicals, compromising cellular health. This includes the health of your skin, so for true beauty sleep drink up!
- It may help to reduce sugar intake. Water is less easily absorbed from a sugary drinkor juice , plus the risk of dental decay increases. During our trip to Fiji this year we saw countless children under five with cavities, brown eroded teeth, and in many cases no teeth. Many adults also had rotting teeth. Is it assumption or are the hundreds of bottles of soft-drink we saw being clutched by children partly responsible? We never had juice at home. We drank water. It is thanks to my parents commitment to a sugar free childhood, that my dentist now says she sees teeth like mine twice a year. No fillings.
- Re-acquaint yourself with simplicity. Modern living encourages consumerism. Plain water may be less attractive that flavoured options. Enjoy the simple pleasures! Enjoy fresh filtered water in an elegant glass, or a pitcher with water and herbs. Everything you ingest tastes better when beautifully presented. Water can be very stylish with:
- a simple squeeze of lime or lemon.
- Slices of cucumber and sprigs of dill or fennel
- Slices of fresh ginger
- A few frozen berries
Can you drink too much water?Yes. A friend of mine died from drinking over 4 litres a day. This is unusual but possible. The brain can receive inadequate electrolites in solution, and close down. (A simplified explanation!)
Why filter water?
Drinking water is one of the most important habits to cultivate. Not just tap water, but purified water. There are many types of filters available. Filtering water not only removes the impurities, fluoride, and chemicals that many city systems fail to cleanse, but it tastes better. Do some research on the ideal filter for you.
When to drink water?
Sip on water all day long. We recommend using bottles made of
- strong glass with a padded carrier case (fresh choice had good ones recently)
- Stable plastics (do not release oestrogen mimicking molecules)
- Stainless steel metal trekking style
Why else drink your own filtered water?
According to a World wildlife fund study bottled water is not necessarily safer than tap water, and sells for 1000 times the price!
Care for the earth; 1.5 million tons of plastic are used to bottle water.
Reduce your contribution to this plastic pile by filling your elegant glass bottle from a filter at home, add a twist of lemon and be satiated!