Tomato and Coconut Soup with Fish Dumplings
A comforting soup that warms the heart and belly. This nourishing soup is a complete meal in a bowl.
3 T peanut oil
5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 T ginger, finely grated or chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
1 cinnamon quill
1 tsp ground turmeric
2 mild red chillies, finely sliced
1 tsp natural sugar, or honey
400 g tin tomatoes, pureed or mashed
400 ml coconut cream
1 c cooked long grain rice
3 T lime juice
Small handful coriander (cilantro) leaves to garnish
400 g white fleshed fish
1 egg white
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp finely chopped ginger
½ c coriander (cilantro) leaves and stalks
½ tsp salt
1) Put all the dumpling ingredients in the food processor and whiz until smooth. Set aside.
2) Now make the soup. Heat oil on low heat and gently sauté the ingredients up to and including sugar until soft.
3) Add tomato, coconut cream and rice. Bring to a boil.
5) Add tablespoon sized spoonfuls of dumpling mix and simmer for five minutes until dumplings are just cooked.
6) Add lime juice and season to taste with sea salt. Serve in individual bowls, garnished with coriander.