The Tantalizing Traits of Turmeric
The golden hue and pungent flavour of turmeric enriches many Asian styled dishes.Turmeric has been used for over two millennia as a dye (you will know this if you get a curry with tumeric in it on your clothes!).
However this spice’s medicinal qualities are significant and it has been called ‘one of natures most powerful healers’. Now research is showing what aurvedic medicine has recognized for centuries.
- It is a natural anti-inflammatory.
- Turmeric is beneficial in the treatment of countless conditions including various forms of cancer, alzheimer’s, psoriasis and other skin inflammations.
- Like cinnamon, turmeric has been shown to reduce atherosclerosis.
- Studies also suggest that turmeric acts as digestive stimulant.
- Chinese medicine recommends tumeric as a mood booster and treatment for depression.
My mother often added a dash of turmeric (1/2 tsp) when cooking white rice spicing it up into a feast for the eyes and palate.
And here are two of our favourites:
Turmeric Rice and Chicken Salad
Golden Scrambled Eggs with Sprouts