The Power Of Affirmations
What are Affirmations?
An affirmation is a strong statement to your subconscious, which helps to create new neural pathways in the brain. It allows you to be more open to beneficial opportunities and gives you the strength to make positive choices.
I see affirmations as a means of supporting the growth of increasing ease in our lives. We are all working on different aspects of self-evolution, and affirmations are a great foundation. Like a mantra or prayer, if we also align ourselves with the spiritual aspect to life before repeating affirmations, they will be even more powerful. Use a prayer in whatever form feels appropriate for you.
Affirmations work especially well if you clear out the 'emotional baggage' first. If we try to put affirmations on top of our big issues, it can be like laying down beautiful carpet over mould and muck... the smell will still seep out and ruin the new carpet! Use a therapy that works for you to clear out anxieties, stresses and past trauma. I like EFT because it's quick, easy and effective. Try a personal online EFT session with me, Anna.
With a clean slate, affirmations will work wonders!
How to use Affirmations
An affirmation sets a strong intention internally and externally. As my Shiatsu teacher always said, where intention is energy flows.
1) Begin by asking yourself, what is your most desired personal goal at the moment?
It might be any of the following:
- To feel energised all day long
- To feel relaxed at work and at home
- To exercise several times a week and feel fit and strong
- To find a certain comfortable weight
These are possibilities. Your affirmation needs to come from your deepest wish.
You choose. And focus on the main thing that would help you to be happier in yourself.
2) Once you choose a goal, imagine how it would be to have achieved that goal, and state it in the present tense. For example: I feel fit, healthy and strong at 90 kilograms.
3) Then if you really want the affirmation to work, it takes commitment to use it. It is helpful to do the following.
- Write it down ten times at night just before you go to bed/sleep.
- Paste a note to your steering wheel.
- Repeat it whenever you can.
- The more you repeat it, the more your subconscious gets the message, and the more your physical and mental body will take action to make it a reality.
It does work. Especially the writing it down.
Affirmation success stories
A friend of ours said he did it for several months, writing down "I am a jumbo jet pilot" every night ten times. And now he is a jumbo pilot for United Emirates, a young pilot at 41 year. He learnt this from the cartoonist who draws Dilbert. This cartoonist wrote how he used the following affirmation devotedly, writing it out every night ten times. “I am the most successful cartoonist in the world”. Now he is.
To make your personal affirmation even more effective, imagine it visually as you write it down. You can imagine the sounds of the palm trees on your tropical holiday, and the feel of the sun on your skin. You can imagine the feeling of loving your body and how good you feel wearing beautiful clothes. You can imagine feeling confident and relaxed when talking in a group. The possibilities are infinite.