Seared Honey Scallops with Apple, Avocado and Basil Salad
A light summer salad, perfect for lunch or as an easy starter. I remember a recipe a little like this one, when I worked in the Rockpool Café in Tauranga. The chef there had an artful talent for producing dishes with unique and delicious flavour and texture combinations.
2 dozen scallops (or 400 g white fleshed fish)
4 sticks celery
1 firm but ripe avocado
1 large crisp red apple
2 handsfuls of fresh basil leaves
A few leaves of lettuce ( soft green leaves like buttercrunch are ideal)
1 T rice bran oil
1 T olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
1 T honey
2 T soy sauce
2 T water
1) Finely slice the celery on the diagonal.
2) Chop the apple into thin matchsticks (skin on).
3) Slice the avocado into long strips.
4) Gently combine the apple, avocado and celery with olive oil and lemon juice.
5) Arrange 4 large leaves of lettuce on each plate.
6) Divide the salad between the four plates, building up a pile of salad on top of the lettuce.
7) Heat a pan with rice bran oil.
8) Sauté the scallops quickly on both sides. Be careful not the over cook; this takes less than 5 minutes in a hot pan! Turn off heat and add honey, soy sauce and water. Divide scallops between the four plates.
9) Garnish with basil leaves and ground black pepper.