Puha and Sesame Salad
During a recent visit to Raglan I made this recipe with a big beautiful bag of puha from Kaiwhenua organic gardens. That same evening I was fortunate to hear Whirimako Black sing at Aqua Velvet Café. Her version of the famous song "Summertime" went "...fish are jumping, and the puha is high..."
We all need to be
reminded to eat more greens - including me! This is a quick
delicious way to use almost any green leafy vegetable - try it with
spinach or Chinese greens.
¼ cup ground sesame seeds
1 - 2 Tbs shoyu (good quality soy sauce)
1) Put a pot about 2/3 full of water on the stove. Bring to a boil.
2) Meanwhile, wash and drain the greens. Cut into 2 -3 cm lengths.
3) Drop greens into the boiling water and blanch briefly - most greens will need less than a minute.
4) Drain immediately. Leave for several minutes to allow excess water to drain, but do not squeeze dry.
5) In a large bowl mix greens, ground sesame seeds and shoyu. Check seasoning and adjust if necessary.