Lentil and Grapefruit Salad with Mint Dressing
I created this recipe after finding a container of cooked lentils in the fridge. Roger and I had been catering for a dinner party the previous evening and had lots of tasty bits left over.
What to do with lentils? My creative culinary brain fired into action and this is the yummy salad I came up with. The tartness of the grapefruit, creamy avocado and aniseedy fennel bulb, combine perfectly with a mint dressing. Sublime on it’s own, with a slice of fresh bread, or topped with your favourite grilled protein option.
2 cups cooked whole brown, green or red lentils
2 large handfuls fresh salad greens (rocket (arugala), lettuce or spinach work well)
1 small or half a large sweet golden or pink grapefruit
½ large or 1 small avocado
1 cup fresh sprouts (I used chinese mung sprouts)
½ large or 1 small fennel bulb
50 ml olive oil
1 T pomegranate molasses or runny honey
1 T cider vinegar
5 T finely chopped fresh mint
½ tsp seasalt
1) Wash, dry and roughly chop the salad greens.
2) Remove all white pith from the grapefruit and slice the flesh away from the white core. Remove seeds and slice into segments.
3) Remove avocado flesh from skin and chop into cubes.
4) Wash and finely slice the fennel bulb.
5) Place all salad ingredients in a serving bowl.
6) Whisk together dressing ingredients in a separate bowl. Pour over salad. It’s fine to do this early, because the dressing is a wonderful marinade. The flavours improve after an hour.