Creamy Cos Lettuce Salad
This is our non-dairy creation for fans of caesar salad. This serves about 4 people. You could top it with grilled chicken or fish.
1 head of cos lettuce
6 sun-dried tomatoes (soften in water overnight if dry)
1½ - 2 cups sprouted buckwheat (or other sprouts)
½ cup walnut pieces
¼ cucumber, de-seeded
1) Separate the cos leaves, then wash and drain well.
2) Drain the dried tomatoes and slice fine
3) Chop the cucumber into thick slices, about ½ cm.
4) Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, mix thoroughly with the Creamy Cos Dressing ( you may not need to use all the dressing).
Creamy Cos Dressing
1 orange, skin removed but white pith retained
1 cloves garlic
1 T Live Mustard (see recipe below) or wholegrain mustard
2 T pickled capers
2 T apple cider vinegar
6 sprigs parsley, chopped
1 pinch cayenne pepper
½ tsp ground black pepper
½ tsp sea salt
½ cup olive oil
1) Combine all ingredients except olive oil in a blender.
2) With the blender running, slowly add the olive oil to produce a thick dressing. You may use store-bought wholegrain mustard in this recipe however below is a delicious homemade version.
Note: Dressings like this are perfectly made in our favourite kitchen gadget - The Tribest Personal Blender
½ cup yellow mustard seeds, soaked overnight
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
¼ cup water
½ tsp sea salt
½ small apple, grated
1 T raw honey
Combine in blender until as smooth as possible. This mustard keeps for weeks in the refrigerator.