Healthy Breakfast recipes and Snacks
Breakfast time may be busy at your place - but it is the most important time to fuel-up on wholesome food. Eating a healthy balanced breakfast sets you up with energy to last until lunchtime. Reduce the chance of an unhelpful mid-morning snack (big sugary muffins!)
Breakfast is a vital opportunity to boost essential nutrients and create sustained, balanced blood sugar levels. Australian research shows that having breakfast enhances learning and mental performance. People who eat breakfast tend to make healthier choices for the rest of the day.
When you break your overnight fast, do it kindly. On an emotional level, having a good breakfast is a clear indication that you're worth it! One of my clients finds her self esteem and emotional eating patterns worsen when she skips breakfast, mostly from lack of planning. Get into a healthy habit; you and your body deserve a healthy breakfast.How to make an easy healthy breakfast
Different people like different breakfasts, but there is a healthy breakfast choice for everyone. It can be simple to make a healthy family breakfast.
- Pre-soak your bircher muesli. This also makes it easy to digest, giving you more nutrients.
- Get your smoothie ingredients ready the night before. Smoothies are a great option when you're short on time. Some nights I pop all my fruit, nuts, egg, fiber and vitamineral green into a bowl in the fridge. In the morning it's easy to whizz it up and take with me when I have an early start. Yum!
- Soak nuts for smoothies at the start of the week. Store them drained in the refrigerator.
- Get up a few minutes earlier and enjoy your breakfast sitting down.
- Porridge: Soak the grains in the pot in water overnight. They'll cook more quickly.
Why do people skip breakfast? What are the solutions?
- An extra few minutes in bed? You will get more energy from a healthy breakfast than the hazy few minutes on snooze
- 'Just can't face it'? Take your healthy breakfast for morning tea
- Simply not enough time? Prepare some of breakfast the night before
- Too tired to bother? Go to bed earlier - or investigate the cause for your tiredness
- Lack of available breakfast foods? Go shopping on the weekend
If you tend to skip breakfast, take a healthy snack for mid-morning: fruit with nuts or yoghurt, a boiled egg, or perhaps your soaked bircher muesli in a container.
What are healthy low sugar breakfast choices?
- Low sugar wholegrain cereals: the less white, the less additives the better. Even if it's organic it may be high in sugars. Be aware.
- Soaked bircher muesli
- Whole grain toast with a low sugar topping, and higher in protein and healthy fats. For example, nut butter, eggs, hummus, salmon, avocado and tomato. Having protein with your grain will slow the sugar release from the carbohydrate, as will eating wholegrain bread.
- Fruit with yogurt and nuts/seeds. It is better not to eat fruit alone, if you have blood sugar balancing issues. If you like fruit for breakfast, including nuts and seed will balance the sugars, and allow the energy to last longer in your body.
- Whole grain porridges. Our favourite healthy porridges use wheat free grains, like buckwheat, quinoa, millet and oats. Top with your choice of milk, yoghurt and fruit. Ground flaxseed adds healthy omega oils.
Gluten free healthy breakfast options
There are lots of possibilities for gluen free breakfast ideas. Cook up
a big pot of millet, rice, quinoa, buckwheat or amaranth, and use this
as your cereal for the next three days or so. It is yummy mixed up with
fresh or soaked dried fruit, and topped with rice milk and yoghurt.
Alternatively, eggs, fish or low fat cuts of meat can be great with wholegrain gluten free bread toast. I like to grill some peppers, courgettes and tomatoes to go with my eggs, drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with pepper. In the weekend try our gluten free Buckwheat pancakes recipe, one of Roger's hits!
Dairy free breakfasts
Discover the world of dairy free milks: Almond. rice, oat and soy. Another trick for a creamy topping on your cereal is to blend up soaked nuts with some fresh and dried fruit. This heavenly breakfast cream is divine.
We are always creating new easy healthy recipes. For more breakfast recipes (gluten free and dairy free) sign up to our newsletter: