Beetroot and Fennel Soup
This tasty beetroot recipe is a variation on Russian Borscht. It is a delightful ruby red colour and tastes like rich tonic for healthy blood. Make it when you need cheering up!
4 T butter or olive oil
2 tsp fennel seeds
1 medium onion, chopped
1 kg beetroot, chopped fairly small
4 cups water
Small bunch of fresh dill, chopped
1) Heat butter or olive oil in a saucepan over a low heat.
2) Add fennel seeds and onion and sauté gently for a few minutes.
3) Add the beetroot and continue to cook gently for about 30 minutes.
4) Add water and bring to a boil. Simmer for 15 – 20 minutes until the beetroot is completely soft.
5) Blend the soup. Add sea salt and black pepper to taste.
6) Serve in individual bowls, garnished with chopped dill and yoghurt.